For Patients and Families
Join the effort of youth supporting patients at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt through The Red Wagon Project.
What is The Red Wagon Project?
The Red Wagon Project is a collaborative effort between teens in the community and Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt to provide extra support items for Children’s Hospital patients and their families during their hospital stay. Red Wagon Project Ambassadors are recruited to coordinate donation drives in their schools, churches, community organizations or neighborhoods.
How can you participate in The Red Wagon Project?
- Sign up to become a Red Wagon Ambassador. We will then email you flyers and other materials that you can print to promote your drive.
- Schedule your donation drive with your school, youth group or organization.
- Visit Champ's Toy Chest to see the hospital’s most urgent needs for the month.
- Determine what item(s) you will collect.
- Coordinate all communications and promotions of your drive.
- Host your donation drive.
- Schedule delivery of your donations to the hospital by calling (615) 936-2544 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post a photo to the Friends of Children's Hospital Facebook group of your collection!
To schedule to have a red wagon at your event for collection or promotion purposes, email email@example.com. Availability is based on the existing schedule.
How did The Red Wagon Project begin?
Walk through the halls of Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt and you’ll likely see a patient or two being transported in a red wagon. When an innovative teenager named Sara Puryear and her sister Erin saw this, they developed the idea of recruiting friends to help fill wagons with toys, gifts, and needed supplies that would in turn help provide an extra touch for those patients and their families during their hospital stay. Thus, thanks to the Puryear family, The Red Wagon Project was created.
Vanderbilt®, Vanderbilt University Medical Center®, V Oak Leaf Design®,
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt®, and Vanderbilt Health®
are all trademarks of The Vanderbilt University.
© 2017 Vanderbilt University Medical Center. All rights reserved.