Consultation Services and Specialty Clinics
Adolescent Consultation and Referral Services
We offer a diagnostic or management opinion to help referring professionals care for teen patients. At the request of the referring professional, we will assume responsibility for patient management until the problem is resolved.
Common reasons for referral include
- Gynecologic concerns, including contraception and screening for sexually-transmitted infections
- Issues of growth and development, such as delayed puberty, short stature, breast disorders
- Eating disorders
- Stress-related illnesses
- Chronic pain
- Adjustment to chronic illness or disability
- Abnormal puberty
- HIV screening, with pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis, as well as primary care for HIV positive patients
Adolescent gynecology services
Caring for young women can be complicated, but Vanderbilt’s expertise in adolescent and young adult health can help. Vanderbilt is a comprehensive care center for for adolescent and young adult female health.
We provide developmentally appropriate health services for female patients ages 12 to 21 including
- Pelvic exams
- Pregnancy testing and options counseling
- Evaluation for menstrual disorders, including dysmenorrhea
- Screening and evaluation for sexually-transmitted infections
- Contraceptive counseling, including counseling and placement of Long Active Reversible Contraception (LARC) such as Nexplanon and Intrauterine Device (IUD)
- Diagnosis and screening for genital abnormalities, such absent vagina and uterus, imperforate hymen, hymenal obstructions, and external genitalia malformations. These conditions may require referrals to other Vanderbilt departments.
We also offer counseling for menstrual suppression in girls with developmental delay or cognitive impairment.
Adolescent and Young Adult Eating Disorders Program
Eating disorders are stressful for both teens and their families. Our Adolescent and Young Adult Eating Disorders Program connects your family to specialists with years of experience helping young women and men struggling with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and related eating disorders.
We provide a safe, confidential environment with access to primary care physicians, psychologists, psychotherapists, nutritionists, psychiatrists, and family support for long-term results.
Sports Medicine Clinic
Whether your teen is a competitive athlete, active, or looking to get more active, our Sports Medicine Clinic provides specialized care to promote fitness, performance, and injury prevention.
Vanderbilt®, Vanderbilt University Medical Center®, V Oak Leaf Design®,
Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt®, and Vanderbilt Health®
are all trademarks of The Vanderbilt University.
© 2017 Vanderbilt University Medical Center. All rights reserved.